By Jonathan Rosenblum
With attractive narrative and insightful statement, exertions organizer Jonathan Rosenblum unearths the interior tale of the 1st profitable struggle for a $15 minimal salary, which renewed a countrywide exertions circulation via daring procedure and huge inclusiveness. simply open air Seattle, an not likely alliance of Sea-Tac Airport employees, union and group activists, and clergy staged face-to-face confrontations with company leaders to unite a various, mostly immigrant crew in a fight over strength among airport staff and company and political elites. Digging deep into the basis explanations of poverty wages, Rosenblum provides a blunt evaluation of the daunting difficulties dealing with unions this day. Beyond $15 presents an inspirational blueprint for a strong, all-inclusive hard work circulate and is a decision for employees to reclaim their energy within the new economy.
Read or Download Beyond $15: Immigrant Workers, Faith Activists, and the Revival of the Labor Movement PDF
Similar labour & industrial relations books
Paul Kubicek bargains a comparative research of prepared labor's destiny in 4 postcommunist nations, and examines the political and monetary effects of labor's weak spot. He notes that with few exceptions, exchange unions have misplaced contributors and suffered from low public self assurance. Unions have didn't act whereas altering monetary regulations have ended in declining dwelling criteria and unemployment for his or her club.
Labour migration has been at the schedule of many nations worldwide whilst governments of either sending and receiving nations were attempting to increase regulatory mechanisms. This e-book opens the talk at the international politics of labour migration by means of featuring a second look of the interplay among states concerning labour migration.
The 1st to systematically examine Caucasians, African americans, and Asian americans in engineering, this examine of the profession attainment and mobility of engineers within the usa tells how those 3 teams fare within the American engineering exertions industry and what they could watch for sooner or later.
The background of Mexican and Mexican-American operating periods has been segregated by means of the political boundary that separates the USA of the USA from the us of Mexico. hence, students have lengthy neglected the social, cultural, and political threads that the 2 teams carry in universal.
- Bread, Freedom, Social Justice: Workers and the Egyptian Revolution
- The Politics of Emerging Strategic Technologies: Implications for Geopolitics, Human Enhancement and Human Destiny (St Antony's Series)
- Making the Empire Work: Labor and United States Imperialism (Culture, Labor, History)
- A Fight for the Soul of Public Education: The Story of the Chicago Teachers Strike
- Historical Directory of Trade Unions: Volume 4, Including Unions in Cotton, Wood and Worsted, Linen and Jute, Silk, Elastic Web, Lace and Net, Hosiery ... Hat and Cap, Carpets and Textile Engineering
- Sick Building Syndrome and the Problem of Uncertainty: Environmental Politics, Technoscience, and Women Workers
Additional resources for Beyond $15: Immigrant Workers, Faith Activists, and the Revival of the Labor Movement
Beyond $15: Immigrant Workers, Faith Activists, and the Revival of the Labor Movement by Jonathan Rosenblum