By Paul Van Look,Kristian Heggenhougen,Stella R. Quah
This quantity brings jointly components of well-being which are one of the foci of present improvement efforts, as articulated by way of the Millennium improvement targets (MDGs), specifically sexual and reproductive wellbeing and fitness (MDG five: enhance maternal future health, objective 2: in attaining, via 2015, common entry to reproductive health); and Gender (MDG three: advertise gender equality and empower women). Few, if any, released books have dealt in a entire method with public future health elements of those strongly interrelated components of future health. such a lot released volumes dedicated to sexual and reproductive healthiness have a robust scientific concentration, while books on gender are likely to focus totally on the socio-cultural and anthropological facets of the subject.
- Focuses at the courting among sexual and reproductive behaviors and the ensuing impression on populations and societies as a group
- Provides a science-based method of deciding on applicable reaction plans, diversifications, and mitigation steps for similar behaviors
- Explores the monetary and societal influence of behavioral choices
- Includes new preface in particular for this audience
By Kerry L. Tucker,Tamara Caspary
By Enrico Coen
Cells to Civilizations is the 1st unified account of ways lifestyles transforms itself--from the creation of micro organism to the emergence of advanced civilizations. What are the connections among evolving microbes, an egg that develops into an youngster, and a baby who learns to stroll and speak? Award-winning scientist Enrico Coen synthesizes the expansion of dwelling structures and artistic tactics, and he unearths that the 4 nice existence transformations--evolution, improvement, studying, and human culture--while often understood individually, truly all revolve round shared middle rules and happen a similar primary recipe. Coen blends provocative dialogue, the most recent clinical examine, and colourful examples to illustrate the hyperlinks among those severe levels within the heritage of life.
Coen tells a narrative wealthy with genes, embryos, neurons, and interesting discoveries. He examines the improvement of the zebra, the diversifications of seaweed, the cave work of Lascaux, and the formulations of Alan Turing. He explores how canines make predictions, how weeds inform the time of day, and the way our brains distinguish a Modigliani from a Rembrandt. finding commonalities in very important findings, Coen supplies readers a deeper knowing of key modifications and offers a daring portrait for the way technology either frames and is framed by way of human culture.
A compelling research into the relationships among our organic prior and cultural growth, Cells to Civilizations provides a notable tale of residing change.
By David M. Miller
- Written in a simple kind, absent of jargon
- Humanizes imaginative and prescient learn utilizing anecdotes
- Uses many unique illustrations and examples to illustrate concepts
- Provides a synthesis of many disciplines together with ophthalmology, optometry, and easy science
- Presents the visible method continually within the context of its survival advantages
- Covers a large choice of themes together with toddler imaginative and prescient, grownup retinal snapshot, animal imaginative and prescient, eye accidents, refractive parts, the attention as a transmitter and receiver of knowledge, optical illusions, colour, visible understanding, and more
By Gillian Barker
By Richard Owen,Ronald Amundson,Mary P. Winsor,Kevin Padian,Jennifer Coggon,Brian K. Hall
Just as Darwin’s rules proceed to propel the trendy examine of variation, so too will Owen’s contributions gas the hot curiosity in homology, natural shape, and evolutionary developmental biology. His idea of the archetype and his perspectives on species origins have been first provided to most of the people in On the character of Limbs, released in 1849. It reemerges right here in a facsimile variation with introductory essays via widespread historians, philosophers, and practitioners from the trendy evo-devo community.
By Takeshi Furuichi,Jo Thompson
Once one of many least studied of the good apes, this new textual content covers the newest learn into those interesting creatures. break up into components, it covers clinical learn, which has tried to respond to why bonobos have a few specified features corresponding to excessive social prestige of ladies and versatile social relationships. Then, it strikes directly to conservation. either the neighborhood and worldwide features of the criteria threatening the wild bonobo inhabitants are reviewed.
By Shailendra S. Gurav,Nilambari S. Gurav
Adulteration and misidentification of natural medicinal drugs could cause critical illnesses to shoppers. step one in qc of medicinal vegetation is making sure the authenticity of the specified species for meant use, with anatomical learn enjoying a severe position in picking out and authenticating medicinal crops. A made from various years of expertise and research, Indian natural Drug Microscopy is a crucial source for opting for and comparing Indian medicinal vegetation.
Comprised of 4 concise and finished chapters, the ebook offers stepwise systems for sectioning of plant fabric, histo-chemical staining concepts, and the anatomy of 40 recognized and medicinally vital crops, together with Arjuna, Ashoka, Ashwagandha, Cinchona, Cinnamon, Ginger, Kurchi, Rauwolfia, Turmeric, Tulsi, and Vasaka. The e-book can be supplemented with colour pictures and hand-drawn microscopic images.
Written through experts within the box, Indian natural Drug Microscopy is a worthy advisor for natural drug microscopy of Indian medicinal plants.
By Kwang W. Jeon
- Authored via a few of the greatest scientists within the field
- Provides updated info and instructions for destiny research
- Valuable reference fabric for complicated undergraduates, graduate scholars scientists